Friday, May 05, 2006

Tradeshow Tips from a Small Business Owner

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was preparing for a tradeshow this week. I've learned a few things in the process of preparing and attending (as a small business owner).

One - Pick the right show on which to spend your money. I decided early on that I didn't want to join or participate in a group of my competition. I prefer to join associations or exhibit with my target customers. For instance, I'm in the training field, but I don't get many customers at a Training Expo...I can, however, find out who my competitors are.

Two - Know in advance what you want to cause and attract during the show. Although the show was expected to bring in international delegates from the World Congress of Information Technology across the street, I was more interested in the other exhibitors as prospects. My goal was to get 25 qualified leads as a result of my presence there (Result - 6 excellent leads and an additional 12 maybes). I also created a way to measure my results - I created a lead qualification form. I know who I spoke to about what and how urgent their need is.

Three - It's up to you to "cause" the action. If you are sitting behind a table with your arms crossed, no one will show up. If you stand up outside your booth and create a welcoming presence, people will always smile and often stop and chat. The Law of Attraction also comes in - when there are people at your booth talking, it attracts more, and before you know it, there are too many for your team to address. I like having THAT problem!

By the way, it really doesn't matter what "goodies" you are giving away - some people seemed skeptical of taking freebies, as if it created an obligation to do business...

Next step is even more important...FOLLOW UP! (again, part of the system)

No comments: